RV Miles is the top destination for RV and camping news, podcasts, National Park updates, recipes, gear, and so much more.
4X4 leads class at 29 mpg
Ram has published EPA fuel economy ratings for the 2020 Ram 1500 powered by the new 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel engine.
Ram’s half-ton EcoDiesel will be rated at 32 miles per gallon highway, 22 mpg city for 4×2 models, and 29 mpg highway, 21 mpg city for 4×4 models.
The 29 mpg rating for 4×4 models is class-leading, significant in that 4×4 models represent more than 80 percent of the U.S. full-size truck mix.
Ram’s new 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel also leads the half-ton pickup truck segment in torque with 480 lb.-ft. and diesel towing capability of 12,560 pounds. Paired with an available 33-gallon fuel tank, Ram’s driving range exceeds 1,000 miles, without your trailer attached, of course. That’s the greatest range of any available truck on the market.
“The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel offers the best torque and towing among all half-ton diesel trucks,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. “Now with a 10-year track record, the Ram brand has emerged as a truck powertrain technology leader. The all-new EcoDiesel engine and Ram 1500 eTorque mild-hybrid powertrains deliver outstanding fuel efficiency alternatives for our Ram 1500 customers.”
The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is available across all models and configurations, including a first-time offering in the Ram Rebel.
|2020 Ram 1500 EPA Numbers||City||Combined||Highway|
|3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel 4×2||22||26||32|
|3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel 4×4||21||24||29|
|3.6-liter V-6 eTorque 4×2||20||22||25|
|3.6-liter V-6 eTorque 4×4||19||22||24|
|5.7-liter HEMI V-8 4×2||15||17||22|
|5.7-liter HEMI V-8 4×4||15||17||21|
|5.7-liter HEMI V-8 eTorque 4×2||17||19||23|
|5.7-liter HEMI V-8 eTorque 4×4||17||19||22|
The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel MSRP starts at $36,890 for the Tradesman Quad Cab 2WD, plus $1,695 destination. The EcoDiesel is a $4,995 option, or $3,000 premium over the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 eTorque ($3,300 on Tradesman, Big Horn/Lone Star, Rebel and Laramie base models).
The 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab is also offered with the second-generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel. Pricing for the Ram 1500 Classic EcoDiesel (Crew Cab 4×2) starts at $39,140, plus destination.
The third generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 offers several significant changes thet contribute an improved dynamic and fuel economy performance:
- A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry is more efficient and provides improved response as engine rpms rise and fall
- Redesigned intake ports improve engine performance and fuel economy
- Introduction of a dual, high-pressure and low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system, a first for a diesel engine in North America. The EcoDiesel’s existing high-pressure EGR, with cooling exhaust gases drawn from the exhaust manifold, is augmented with a low-pressure EGR system that draws exhaust gases after they exit the diesel particulate filter. The addition of cooler, low-pressure exhaust gas makes a significant contribution to improved fuel economy and lower oxides of nitrogen (NOx)
- The compression ratio is changed to 16.0:1, from 16.5:1, which helps reduce exhaust emissions, particularly NOx
- Redesigned high-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles
- Combustion chamber geometry has been optimized to improve fuel economy
- Redesigned aluminum-alloy pistons improve fuel economy, with thinner piston rings to reduce friction
- The piston pin is offset 0.3 degrees from the centerline to reduce “piston slap” against the cylinder wall, minimizing noise and vibration
- The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a sandwiched polymer/metal material to reduce noise and vibration
- The Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system is 50 percent larger and incorporates a new-generation diesel oxidation catalyst with the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system to reduce NOx
- New-generation brake system vacuum pump with low-friction blades contributes to improved fuel economy
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast with compacted graphite iron, which provides strength to dampen vibrations, but weighs less than grey cast iron. A compacted graphite iron bedplate adds rigidity to the block.
The forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods add strength and durability. The aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads use individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize noise and vibration. The chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 is produced at the FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy, and is backed by a five-year /100,000-mile powertrain warranty. The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is assembled in Sterling Heights, Michigan.