A new, advanced global radar app for iPhone and Android devices from The Weather Channel promises to be the go-to app for RV travelers and campers across the US. Providing a whopping 6 hours of high-resolution future radar, the Storm Radar app utilizes sophisticated forecasting models and leverages over 800 data sources, as well as the expertise of over 160 meteorologists. The app is able to generate hyperlocal forecasts for over 2.2 billion locations across the globe every 15 minutes.
The app offers over 20 map layers, plus hyperlocal current condition and forecast information based on data collected from the company’s network of over 250,000 personal weather stations across the globe.
Features of the app include:
- Global Future Radar: Two hours of animated past radar and six hours of cutting-edge, forecasted future radar across land and sea
- Storm Tracks: Detailed analysis of impending severe weather, including storm arrival time, strength rating, detailed components of the storm (such as wind, hail, lightning, and tornadoes), the speed and direction of the storm, the precipitation rate, storm tracker data, and more
- Hurricanes and Tropical Storms: Historical and forecasted paths, complete with wind speed, strength, arrival times, and the cone of uncertainty
- Lightning: 100 miles of lightning data for the Continental U.S.
- Local Storm Reports and Severe Weather Alerts: Local radar and global severe weather warnings and alerts from anywhere in the U.S. and around the globe from NOAA, National Weather Service (NWS), Environment Canada, and MeteoAlarm
- Customizable Data Layers: Severe weather alerts, local storm reports, wind, temperature and precipitation overlays, earthquake info, and more
“As part of our mission to help people make more informed decisions, we’ve created a robust suite of products to ensure we provide the highest quality, and most advanced weather and storm tracking information possible for our users,” said Domenic Venuto, head of consumer division, The Weather Company, owner of The Weather Channel brand. “The Storm Radar App offers superior visual and storm tracking information in a variety of customizable formats to meet the needs of everyone ranging from the outdoor enthusiast to the advanced storm tracker.”
The Storm Radar App is free to download on mobile devices within the App Store or Google Play.