Photo: The new GMC Sierra HD Black Diamond Edition
2021 GMC Sierra trucks are slated to offer several new available features that build on already robust trailering technologies.
New or enhanced trailering tech available on both 2021 GMC Sierra light-duty and heavy-duty models include:
- Trailer Length Indicator: When driving forward with the turn signal activated, the center console screen will display a red overlay twice the length of the trailer and shows when other vehicles are present and may interfere with a lane-change maneuver.
- Jack-Knife Alert: If the front of the trailer approaches the rear of the vehicle, an alert is displayed when there may be a potential jack-knife situation.
- Guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator: Rear Trailer View has been enhanced to include guidelines that assist when backing a trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator to show the relationship between the truck and compatible trailer. Rear Trailer View requires the customer-installed available GM auxiliary accessory camera.
- Rear Side View enhancement: When driving forward, Rear Side View provides a split view of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer that is automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle. Drivers will now have access to this view while driving in reverse, making it easier to see surrounding vehicles and objects while positioning a trailer.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement: New Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which are meant to help in aligning and hooking up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
“More than half of our Sierra customers use their trucks to primarily tow equipment for outdoor adventures,” said GMC Marketing Director Rich Latek. “We continually listen to customer feedback, which tells us they want class-leading safety, technology and comfort to tow what they need, whether it’s a boat, an RV or a trailer hauling off-road toys.”
Additional updates for 2021 GMC Sierra 1500
Other additions to the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 include increased availability of the MultiPro Tailgate on SLE and Elevation trims, as well as a new selection of colors. The Sierra 1500 AT4 will now offer optional 20-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires and an off-road high-clearance step.
The 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel option on the half-ton trucks will drop in price by $1,500, making it just a $2500 upgrade over the base gas engine.
Additional updates for 2021 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty
GMCs heavy duty 2500 and 3500 trucks will feature upgraded premium trim levels. 360 degree and bed view cameras are now standard on the Denali trim. A new Sierra HD Denali Black Diamond Edition will feature exclusive 20-inch high-gloss black wheels and new power-retractable assist steps.
Similar to the 1500, the Sierra Heavy Duty AT4 will now have available 18-inch Mud Terrain tires and an available off-road high clearance step accessory. The popular MultiPro Tailgate will now come standard on SLE and three new colors.