Columbia, South Carolina will be one of the only metro areas on the East Coast to be directly in line with the path of the upcoming total solar eclipse this August. The city is calling itself the “Total Eclipse Capital of the East Coast,” and will host a long weekend of more than 50 eclipse-related festivals and events from Aug. 18 to 21, 2017.
Viewers will experience up to 2 minutes and 36 seconds of darkness in Columbia at 2:41 p.m. on Monday, August 21.
Highlights from the 50+ Columbia, S.C. area eclipse events:
- Large-scale Soda City Eclipse Viewing Festival and Eclipse Eve Drive-In Movie at Historic Columbia Speedway in Cayce, S.C.
- New laser light art installation over Congaree River, “Southern Lights”
- Total Eclipse of the Park – Columbia Fireflies Minor League Baseball game
- S.C. State Museum viewing event w/observatory and appearance by astronaut Charles Duke
- Solar 17 viewing festival at Lake Murray dam
- Paddling on Saluda River during eclipse; 5K; kids’ activities at Saluda Shoals Park
- Ranger-led eclipse hikes in Congaree National Park
- Eclipse viewing/camping at Sesquicentennial State Park
- Historical tours of 12,000 Year History Park in Cayce
- Eclipse viewing party with luxe food & drink at Motor Supply bistro
- Lowcountry Boil & Paella Party at City Roots urban farm
- Solar Fest West with music, food trucks/beer garden at riverfront amphitheater
- Eclipse Tailgate festival w/4,000 parking spaces and urban RV camping at S.C. State Fair
- The Grape Eclipse festival at Mercer Winery
- Family-friendly viewing festival at Robert Mills House & Gardens
- S.C. Philharmonic “Star Wars Musiclipse” concert
- Arts & Draughts party at Columbia Museum of Art
- Eclipse viewing at Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
More information is available at totaleclipsecolumbiasc.com.