RV Miles is the newest destination for RV and camping news, reviews, recipes, and so much more.
Difficulty: Easy | Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 5-8 mins | Servings: 1
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 slices of bread (We like a honey wheat bread, like Sara Lee, but any bread you have on hand will do)
- 2 slices of Swiss, Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese (some recipes call for shredded, but we find sliced to be easier to work with)
- 2-3 slices of ham
- Frying pan, cast iron skillet or pie iron (we prefer a cast iron skillet. Gives the sandwich a crispier outer crust)
- Spread the butter evenly over 1 side of the sliced bread. Repeat with the other slice.
- Put one slice of cheese on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread. Top with the slices of ham and the remaining cheese slice.
- Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place the sandwhich in a hot skillet and cook until the bottom is golden brown. Flip over and cook until golden brown and the cheese is melty. Alternatively, if using a pie iron cook until bread browns and cheese melts.
Kick it up a notch:
For an extra flavor kick, add dijon mustard to the non-buttered side of the bread.
For a gluten-free option, use a gluten free bread (we like Udi’s Multi-Grain), and reduce the cheese to 1 slice. You can also replace a dairy based cheese with a non-dairy (we like Daiya’s swiss style cheese slices).